This recipe is designed by the nutritionists and registered dietitians at Mint Nutrition Clinic, and its a low calorie option that should be included in a healthy weight loss diet plan. Make these twice baked sweet potatoes and feel great about eating them for dinner or lunch, as a part of a healthy meal plan. We help many individuals who want to lose weight and keep it off for good.
Click Here to meet our Toronto nutritionist or Toronto Registered dietitians today!
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes - Low Calorie Dinner Idea
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes Serves: 2
Calories per one: 250-300 cals
2 Medium Sized Sweet potatoes
2 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 Cup Mushrooms
1/2 Chopped White Onion
1/2 Coconut Milk
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 Tbsp Onion and Garlic Powder
1/2 Tbsp Dried Parsley
1) Preheat you oven to 400ºF.
2) With 1 tbsp of olive oil, rub the oil on the two whole sweet potatoes and poke the potatoes with a fork to allow the steam to escape. Place them in the oven for one hour.
3) Meanwhile begin cooking the sauce that will go inside the potatoes. Add 1 tbsp of oil to a pan and cook with onions and mushrooms on medium heat. This step takes at least 10 minutes to allow the flavors to come out. Add the garlic and onion powder midway and salt and pepper to taste. Add a tsp of water if needed, while browning the vegetables.
4) After cooked well, add the 1/2 cup of coconut milk to the pan and a small amount of water to loosen the mixture. Turn the heat down to low. After 2 minutes of cooking, taste for salt level, and add more if needed.
5) After sweet potatoes are cooked for one hour, allow them to cool. Then remove the inner flesh of the potatoes (not too much, leave some with the skin, so it's easier to eat the skin). Add half of the inner flesh in the sauce that we made earlier, and keep the rest in the fridge for another day. Let the inner flesh of the sweet potatoes to cook with the sauce for 5-10 minutes (add tiny amounts of water if it looks dry).
6) Place the sauce mixture inside the 2 sweet potatoes skins and add some dried parsley on top. You can place the final product in the oven for 2-3 minutes, to allow it to heat up well. Then serve!